Moved

If you've come here through a link from a fellow bloggers' blog... I've moved!

It's the End of the World Challenge

Since I have revamped my book related goal for this year, I thought I would join a challenge I discovered while blog hopping this afternoon. Becky at Becky's Book Reviews is hosting a challenge titled "It's the End of the World (As We Know It) Challenge". Do you have REM song in your head like I do? Between now and September 15th I need to read at least 3

books about "the end of the world." This includes both apocalyptic fiction and post-apocalyptic fiction. There is some overlap with dystopic fiction as well. The point being something--be it coming from within or without, natural or unnatural--has changed civilization, society, humanity to such a degree that it radically differs from "life as we know it." (Aliens, evil governments, war, plague, natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes, depletion of resources, genetic manipulation, etc.) Here is a wikipedia article on the subject. Also see here.
I already know 1 book that I'll be reading; Scott Westerfeld's The Uglies. My oldest has the first 3 in a boxed set on her bookcase. I'd also like to read Stephanie Meyer's The Host if I can get my paws on it before the deadline. I've already read the teaser. I should come up with 2 more (in case I can't get The Host) any help would be appreciated. kylee[DOT]books[AT]gmail[DOT]com


Now, I'm off to enjoy my Pomegranate Pizzazz and Dancing Above the Waves on this chilly, rainy afternoon.

***************************
UPDATE: May 21, 2008

Earlier today I commented on a post on Blogger News Network (this post) about Susan Walerstein's Dancing Above the Waves. Paula with Author Marketing Experts, Inc saw my comment, Ms. Walerstein is one of their clients. Paula also saw this here post about Becky's Challenge, saw I was still looking for suggestions and told me about a book by another of their clients, Dan Ronco. The book is Unholy Domain and is perfect for the challenge and the trailer creeped me out, in the best sense of the phrase. She's mailing it out to me. Is there anything better for a bibliophile than free books?!

So that makes 2 definites on my list:
UPDATE May 25, 2008:
I have my 3!

5 comments:

Becky said...

I don't know if you've read the Pfeffer books yet, but Life As We Knew It is really great.

The Host is wonderful :)
As is Uglies by Westerfeld :)

But welcome to the challenge! Be sure to visit on the 15th of each month where I invite participants to share what they've been reading. You might get some ideas there as well!

Becky said...

I forgot to mention this...but it might just interest you...I have a site called Becky's Online REading Group. I started an informal poll yesterday, but it looks like THE HOST by Stephenie Meyer might be our group read for July. It isn't official official yet. But if it does make it, I'd love to have you join in on the discussion if you get the chance :)

I did take the poll for the Summer Reading, by the way. :)

Terri B. said...

Here are a few post-apocalyptic books I've read and enjoyed:

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
On the Beach by Nevil Shute
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

jacy said...

ooohh I have an unholy love for this genre....blame your fiancee and his insistence on watching Threads incessantly one summer when we were kids....

Swan Song by Robert McCammon (sp?) and King's the Stand both have similar premises...major disaster wipes out 99......%of the population and the remainder find themselves drifting into camps to gear up for a battle of good vs evil

I'm not sure if you're read Margaret Atwood, but both the Handmaids Tale and Onyx and Crake have to do with the end of "civilization" or it's aftermath.

Also, look into Octavia Butler, especially the Parable of the Sower.

KyleeJ said...

I have Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale! I guess I have my 3!